Monday, January 05, 2009

The Israeli Security Fence

It's strangely beautiful in its way. I can't help but think it's insane---but then again, who am I to judge? I'm struck by how very small the overall dimensions are, 29 kilometers here, 15 miles there. A casual friend of mine is a Knight of the Order of St. John, or some such. He paid an official visit to Israel last year to deliver a check from New York intended to purchase one of those special, small-sized ambulances, which are used in the narrow streets of the Old City of Jerusalem. I wasn't sure of his politics, so I carefully broached the subject of the security fence to ask him what he thought. He is a thoughtful man, and he went quiet for a moment and then said, "I think it may signal the end for Israel." I guess in person and up close, the "fence," if you will, carries a quality of failed resignation about it. But on the map, all those little excursions looking like oil stains, of a people trying to eke out some more hectare of dusty Promised Land.

And such a big destabilizing effect comes across the planet from that old center of power. I will admit, I'm starting to feel a little manipulated by the Palestinians, and how they got up to speed in that game is very curious. Of course, Jews remain the masters of perception. Trouble is, I don't believe a single word they say. They've lost all credibility in my camp. I think they should all move here to Long Island, but they can't have it cheap! They have to pay market rates, and I know that will kill them! But it's my one small contribution. Then Jerusalem can be mandated as an internationally controlled city.

No comments: